New to MFT - Still Not Sure

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
norymeoreason41 Forum Member • Posts: 52
New to MFT - Still Not Sure

Hi there everyone! I'm looking for a little advice here.

I'm coming from a Canon system - I recently sold my lenses and junked my old and somewhat broken body. I had a Canon 60D, EF-S 18-55 f2.8 IS and EF 70-200L F4 IS. It served me well for many years and produced countless beautiful pictures of my family and our many journeys.

The reality is that I haven't used my gear much over the past couple of years, and I realized it was because of it's size. I would often decide to not bring it out and instead favored capturing any moments of the family, on vacation, etc. on the iphone 7 instead.

So I was inspired to move to something smaller because I miss the ability to take great shots, make prints to frame and hang in our home, etc. My goal was to buy something small (not necessarily pocketable, just small enough for a wrist strap or unobtrusively hanging around my neck).

Last week I picked up the Panasonic GX85 with the kit lens (12-32). I used it quite a bit over the weekend, and I have to admit that I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the PQ. Too much noise in dark areas when enhancing shadows, generally unsharp landscape shots (not out of focus, just lacking some details, etc.) This leads me to a couple of questions:

- Do I have too high of expectations coming from the Canon system? I know I had "great glass" with Canon, so maybe my results are totally normal given the quality difference between the Canon lenses and the Panny kit.

- Any Fuji lovers out there? I ask because I also considered the x-t20 with the 18-55 kit. I hear this setup is outstanding and for some reason I've become obsessed with the Fuji film simulations. But is it worth the $500ish price premium?

- With my original goal of still taking outstanding pictures but having a much smaller kit that would make it much more likely that I take the camera out in the first place, should I just stop thinking about it and focus on (no pun intended) learning more about the camera and take more pictures?

- Wife wife made a comment to me over the weekend that's getting into my head...she said "these pictures don't look like what you used to take, you might as well just use your iphone" OUCH!

If you can't tell, I'm having some buyers remorse. I'm still in the return window, so there is some urgency if I do plan to return.

Ok, that was a lot, and I'm sorry it was a bit rambling. I'm dying to hear your thoughts!

Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow