Do camera manufacturers have too many SKUs?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M43ForMe Regular Member • Posts: 250
Do camera manufacturers have too many SKUs?

I'm mainly talking about Panasonic, but I think it's a fair question for all of them. It feels like they don't do any research into what consumers want, and let the nerdiest engineers in the company (I can say that since I am one) decide what the product lineup will be comprised of, and what the products will be named.

There seems to be a ton of overlap within product families and so much fragmentation. I understand that you want to segment consumer vs pro vs ultra-compact. But it seems like all the variants within each bucket is overkill, and works to the company's disadvantage. (The one exception to this that I'll grant is Sony, as it does seem like the A7, A7S, and A7R serve very specific and different market needs)

And with the emergence and saturation of cell phone cameras, do we really need to distinguish between a pared down consumer crop sensor camera and a mid level crop sensor camera? (Rebel series vs something like a 80D).

Maybe I'm crazy and all the different SKUs serve a good purpose. But I just can't see it. It feels like something that doesn't consider the consumer, and never made it out of a self-serving marketing & engineering meeting room.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow