Know lenses? Input on size/weight of 35-70 f/2 or 40-80 f/2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 5,565
Know lenses? Input on size/weight of 35-70 f/2 or 40-80 f/2

I've long said that I'd love to have a 35-70 f/2 lens for my Canon DSLR. As I'm likely exiting that ecosystem and moving to Sony, I'm curious to know about the feasibility of either a 35-70 f/2 or a 40-80 f/2 lens for the E mount.

Focal range wise, this would be an ideal focal range for folks who wish to photograph a great number of things and the reduced focal range (only 2x) may help offset some of the size/weight from the faster aperture of f/2 (vs a 24-70 f/2.8). That's where I'm asking for some insight from those who know about these things. What would a lens designed for the E mount (FF image circle) look like in terms of size/weight?

Personally, moving to the E mount is allowing me to shed some size/weight from my setup but still get modern, high-quality optics (with Canon, if you want the smaller/lighter lenses, it's almost entirely old lenses).

Some of my lens replacements are 1-for-1, for example the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS for the FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS and result in size/weight savings while others are a compromise like the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II plus the occasional use of the EF 2x III extender for the FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS or the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art for the FE 55mm f/1.8 or the EF 85mm f/1.2L II for the Batis 85mm f/1.8, but still save me weight and bulk/size.

But if the size/weight of a 35-70 f/2 for the E mount is too extreme, I won't bother pining away for it So... obviously any lenscould be madebut could this lens be made without being overly large/heavy? If so, who's ready to start a petition?!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow