Canon 6D Mk II Let Down .. Moving To Sony Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
NickyNoodles Regular Member • Posts: 174
Canon 6D Mk II Let Down .. Moving To Sony

I've faithfully bought Canon gear for 12 years and loved it. 300D, 350D, 30D, 60D, 70D. Also bought a lot of Canon L glass. If anyone asked me what camera they should get, I'd tell them, "you should look at Canon".

Previously I've put my cash more into good lenses and held off full frame. I decided that once the 6D II is out, I'll make the jump to full frame and get a 24-70 2.8 II.

And then the specs came out. What are they thinking? It's taken me a few weeks to come to the conclusion that, enough is enough, let's get all this kit on eBay and move to Sony.

Does anyone else feel the same way? My reasons.

- No 4k. OK, they say it's a still camera. That's fine if everything else in the price range is a still camera, but it's not. Sony a6500 does incredible 4k video with a sensible codec, cheaper than a 6D II. I like to take video of my family and want the best quality.

- 1/4000 shutter speed. I love shooting primes wide open. I get 1/8000 on my 70D. I have to reach for my ND filter collection on the 6D ii. Seriously?

- Video quality is awful. Canon 1080p, on any lines other than the 5D and 1D, has always been awful. There's a YouTube video of someone comparing 6D II video to the iPhone 7 and honestly, the iPhone looks better. Canon are intentionally softening this. There's no way the sensor isn't capable. There's no reason for it to look this bad.

- Focus points. They took the focus system from the 80D and put it in a full frame.  Well done Canon. Meanwhile Sony are bringing out cameras with 93% viewfinder phase detection focus point coverage.

- Dynamic range. Worse than 6D. Arguably on purpose to stop wedding / event / low light photographers using it over the 5D. Sony dynamic range is incredible; class leading.

I'm sure someone will say "so buy a 5D", and I would, if 4k was usable on that, but it's not with the crazy intentionally crippled MJPEG codec only.

I'm sure someone will say "so buy a Canon C200 for your 4k". Yeah because they're so cheap and convenient.

So Canon, the road ends here for me. It was good while it lasted, I'm genuinely sad.

NickyNoodles's gear list:NickyNoodles's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow