Why are my eclipse glasses NOT to be used on lenses?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drusus Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Why are my eclipse glasses NOT to be used on lenses?

I have several pairs of eclipse glasses for tomorrow. Today I was using a pair to create a solar filter for a pair of small binoculars (of the opera glasses design), and to create a filter for my GF1 to be used along with a 200 mm old Nikkor lens.

Then my wife noticed that the glasses have a warning, stating they must NOT be used together with any optical equipment, such as cameras, video cameras, binoculars.

Does anyone know why these eclipse glases have this warning? Do all eclipse glasses come with such a warning?

I initially dismissed the warning as misguided: I imagine that our eyes are more susceptible to damage than a camera sensor is.

Then I realized a possible reason for this warning: when you mount a filter over a lens, the lens may amplify the intensity of the beam going through it.

So is it dangerous to look at the sun through binoculars protected by solar filter?

Thanks in advance.

Drusus

drusus's gear list:drusus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow