Carry two cameras or get an early Sony A7?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
leftcoast Junior Member • Posts: 44
Carry two cameras or get an early Sony A7?

I've been bitten by the bug again and am slowly getting back into photography. I bought a Nikon D5200 w/50-200mm and 18-55mm kit lens before going to Hawaii a few months ago. I've since bought a Nikon 60mm 2.8 and 70-300mm 4.5-6.

Just moved and brought my wife and 3yo up here to Seattle so we've been doing a good amount of sight seeing as of late. Mt. Ranier, various lakes, sunsets, farmers markets, etc.. Lots of pics with the Nikon and I am happy with 80% of the results I'd say. I'm more into landscapes,architecture, and nature shots but I'm finding myself inevitably taking a lot of family shots when we're out. All these lenses are a bit slow (60mm manual focus) unless I use burst mode. Also the 18-55mm doesn't shoot great in low light and this is where the real flaw is in my pics is.

To possibly combat this I was thinking of either pulling out my old Panasonic GF1 and getting the nice 20mm 1.7 pancake lens. I'd keep it in the car and have a nice portable camera to use on the fly and also bring it with me on our adventures.

Other option would be to sell my Nikon rig and the Gf1 (55-200mm lens/Konica Hexanon 35mm 3.5 manual focus) and just bite the bullet and start from scratch with a used Sony A7. I know I'd like to go up to a full frame sensor at some point to have the ability to make bigger prints of our adventures.

Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the long post.

Nikon D5200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow