Shooting a flat profile, really an advantage?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,236
Shooting a flat profile, really an advantage?

So, I've always shot a flat profile but I've been doing some test with the 5D Mark IV. Using EOS HD C-LOG vs Fine Detail Canon profile. It's not real C-Log just a flat profile.

It seems that the shadow recovery is good enough in the 5D Mark IV that with a regular profile I can lift the shadows and still see plenty of detail there. Where as the flat profile records the shadows and the highlights closer to the mids.

The main difference I'm noticing, is it seems like I'm losing color information. By putting back color in the flat profile by color grading, it's there but it's not as vibrant as it is by not taking it out in the first place. However, if the color is too vibrant on a non-flat profile by taking it down, such as taking saturation down, blues down, reds down, etc, there seems to be no disadvantages.

The Fine Detail profile seems to look better than the flat profile and I cannot find a situation where I'm getting more dynamic range out of the flat profile, even when it's real contrasty if I lift up the shadows the detail I want is there.

I understand why a REAL Log profile would be better but I'm not seeing that shooting flat is providing better results, if it is, I may be losing other things.

What is your opinion on this issue? I plan on getting real C-Log for my 5D, Canon charges 99$ for it, but until then I really don't know if I should continue to shoot flat or not.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow