Lens for Landscape/Night Sky/possibly more a6300?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
julchak Junior Member • Posts: 26
Lens for Landscape/Night Sky/possibly more a6300?

Hey everyone!

First time poster here and recent lurker - realized I rambled a bit, skip to the bold text if you want to skip a bit...I've finally decided to make the investment and step into the world of interchangeable lens photography. I've loved photography and am an avid outdoorsman and traveler who enjoys capturing the moments on the trail and on my adventures.

I've decided to go with the a6300 as it seems to fit my needs (being able to take excellent still photos in a variety of lighting and environments, has the option to take great videos as well).

I do a lot of backpacking and hiking and want to be able to capture the scenery (near and far)/landscapes, portraits of people, action shots, wild life, and be able to capture shots of the night landscapes with stars in the sky. I realize that pretty much encompasses every type of shot though haha.

I have a trip to Yosemite coming up at the end of September and that is what I really want to gear up for now. I'm thinking that I will get the a6300 with the 16-50mm kit lens - I know this may not take stellar photos throughout the range, however it will let me get some nice shots and have a bit more range and functionality.

The big thing I want is a prime lens which can be use for landscapes in Yosemite and be able to capture the Milky Way filled landscapes at night. I'm also wondering if I could get this prime lens to work for any other types of closer shots of people or if I'd have to use the kit lens for that?

From what I think I need to accomplish this landscape/night skies shots I've found these:

• Sony 10-18 f4 (seems like it won't satisfy my night requirement)
  • Zeiss 24 f1.8 (seems great for night and landscapes? would it be able to be used anywhere else?)
  • Zeiss Touit 12 f2.8 (limited to solely landscape and may not perform as well at night?)
  • Rokinon 12 f2 (maybe?)
  • Sony 16-35 f4 (zoom, not prime, but one site was raving about it)
  • Samyang 12 f2 (seems like it could be good)
  • Sony 20 f2.8 (bad at night)
  • Sony 16 f2.8 (bad at night)

That seems to be every one I could consider right haha?

Based on how (I think) they'll operate at night, and what (I think) they'll be good at shooting, it seems like it might be down to:

• Zeiss 24/f1.8
  • Samyang 12/f2

Am I evaluating these correctly? Any other recommendations? Can these lenses be used for other applications besides landscapes and night shots?

I'd like to hear recommendations for the landscape/night landscape prime lens, and also if you recommend any other lens which may not break the bank but will be useful to me as I learn to use the camera and am shooting wildlife and action shots?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
Sony a6300 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow