Sun Damage to sensor

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,096
Sun Damage to sensor

A friend of mine posted this video in our photo club site.   I am well aware of the power of magnifying glasses and the sun.   I have started fires this way as a kid.   I am baffled though about the millions of photos I have seen taken and taken myself of the sun and sunsets over the years and have never once heard of a damaged sensor.

Sun burns camera sensor.

I can see the worry of using an optical viewfinder, but I have mostly Electronic VFs.  I would only keep it there are few seconds.

Most sun photos I have seen are a much faster Shutter speed than in the video which used 6 seconds with what looks like a 600/800mm lens.   I don't hold the camera focused there longer than a few seconds.   I took this photo below with my FZ1000 at 1/4000th shutter zoomed in at 400mm.  I expect the eclipse to be similar or less in intensity.

I have taken thousands of photos of the sun over the years and have never had a sensor damaged.    So is this a case of paranoia?  Or can someone careful and prudent take a photo of the eclipse with no issues without a filter?

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm XQ2 Olympus Tough TG-4 +6 more
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow