Best Settings and a UV/Clear Filter for the 7D Mk II & 100-400mm MK II Combo

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
makarandsaraf Senior Member • Posts: 1,200
Best Settings and a UV/Clear Filter for the 7D Mk II & 100-400mm MK II Combo

Greetings from India. I am basically an enthusiast photographer interested in shooting Birds, Macros, Wildlife in general and landscape and nature shots.

I am new to the Canon family having migrated from the Olympus family (using it since the last 6 -7 years). I have recently laid my hands on a used Canon 100-400mm IS II lens and the very popular Canon EOS7D Mk II camera.

I would like your opinions on the preferred settings for this camera and lens combination-especially while shooting birds, birds in flight in areas with sometimes high temperatures, coastal areas and some foggy areas in winter. My primary interest is  shooting birds and wildlife. I do keep on visiting National parks in India frequently for the same and during winters the nature conserves in India are quite foggy. In summer the areas are hot and I live in the financial capital of India-Mumbai where the average Relative Humidity is around 80% throughout the year (and goes to around more than 90% in monsoons).

What sort of a filter would be suitable in such conditions, Do I need a UV filter or do I need a clear filter-please help. I am willing to pay for reputed brands like B+W or Marumi if needed to protect the lens.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

makarandsaraf's gear list:makarandsaraf's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +2 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow