review Nikon Coolpix W300

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
megreen New Member • Posts: 2
review Nikon Coolpix W300

I had high hopes for this camera.  I wanted to replace an older Canon camera which I have used in the past for underwater pictures but required a bulky underwater housing.

Surely the newer rugged underwater type cameras must be an improvement.  I did my research and narrowed it down between the Coolpix W300 and the Olympus TG5.  The W300 has lots of new Wifi/Blutooth and GPS stuff and a number of scenes, but  some of the scenes were limited and the camera did not take good pictures.  The bottom line is that my camera bought in 2007 takes better pictures than this camera, has better zoom capability and is better in low light situations.

There is no excuse for newer cameras (especially one made by a company like Nikon) to have no better IQ than in a camera as old as mine.  My husband has a Panasonic TS5 that he bought in 2013 which takes pictures as well as the Nikon and is easier to use.

Sadly I never got to test this in underwater mode because of the poor quality pictures I took on land. I will be returning this camera and I may have to stick with my old camera and drag the underwater housing along or buy a TS5

Nikon Coolpix W300
16 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 120 mm (5×)
Announced: May 31, 2017
megreen's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
mediocre
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
mediocre
Portraits
acceptable
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
acceptable
= community average
Nikon Coolpix W300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 (Lumix DMC-FT5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow