DP2 Merrill -- Failure to process images in the buffer -- random noise result

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CaptureNature New Member • Posts: 20
DP2 Merrill -- Failure to process images in the buffer -- random noise result

I love my DP2 Merrill, but I've noticed something that has been getting worse, or maybe it's the way I now use the camera since I'm filling the buffer much more than in the past. In the past if the battery is low and I have images left to process in the buffer, sometimes the last few images would fail. What you'd see is either part of the image, or the entire image masked by total random noise (like leaving a bad signal on an old analog TV). This was easy to avoid (just don't fill the buffer when the battery is very low).

However, I've started doing panorama and mosaic sticking for the past couple years and this can quickly fill up the buffer. In this situation, what would first happen is that as you get close to filling the buffer, sometimes it would take up to 30 seconds for an image to fire (usually maybe 5-10 seconds). If you have sound enabled for the shutter, you'd hear the first click, the screen goes blank, and then the other click once the picture has been taken. It's always been clunky like this when I've been filling the buffer and I try to avoid doing so.

Yesterday however while hiking in the mountains and making panos, with the buffer filled (or even partially filled) I had imaging failure multiple times with the battery still showing 2 bars. I'd shoot a row of 4-5 images for a pano. Then change the shutter speed and shoot another row. I'd do this a few times as the lighting would change. What would happen is the first pano nearly fills the buffer and the second pano would be suffering for the slowness described above (maybe not always 30 seconds until a shot finishes, but often a delay of some sort). A few times the camera tried to turn off while it was still processing the images as I'd wait for the buffer to clear. I believe I tried turning it back on when it would do this (I don't think it would fully turn off as it still had processing to do, it just would be turning off the screen right? -- but I thought I saw the sigma logo as it was "turning off").

Anyway, later I was looking at my images and the majority of the panos were ruined. The first 1-2 images were fine in a series, but the rest were either partially or fully showing just noise.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I've been able to work around it so far but waiting until my camera fully processes the buffer before trying another pano. I've also been switching between display modes while it's processing to prevent the screen from turning off (in hopes that wasn't the issue). I also now check every image has resolved. Especially if it's a multi row pano where I might be making a mosaic out of 8-12+ images. If just one fails the entire shot is ruined! I suppose I could do more testing to see what exactly is causing the issue. But this is really irritating. If I must wait until the buffer fully clears before doing the next shot it makes using this camera even slower.

Here is an example. Once it fails, all subsequent images in the buffer fail until clear. The jpeg looks like this:

And then after it loads into SPP:

And zoom into detail:

Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow