Time to decide on my new to me macro

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cutterpup
cutterpup Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
Time to decide on my new to me macro

Although my ship has yet to come in, a small rowboat did. So I have the money now to buy a macro lens, used.

I have narrowed it down to between the Nikon 105mm D version and the Tamron 90mm, non VC.  Although I cannot afford the Nikon in G, I did find the Tamron VC version almost within my budget.

So my questions are these; between the Nikon and the Tamron, which in your opinions, is the most pleasing when used for portraits,  and two, is the newer VC version of the Tamron worth the extra money?

I will be using the lens both for macro and animal portraits, sometimes hand held.  I have been doing searches and comparisons and opinions seem divided.  So I figured asking here might be better than tossing a coin.

Thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

Yes Cathy, "There really is a Pink-footed goose, and I have the pictures to prove it." As told to my boss after she had seen "The Big Year"

cutterpup's gear list:cutterpup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow