Query about the OMD-EM1 (mark I)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Shashinka73 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Query about the OMD-EM1 (mark I)

My current camera has bitten the proverbial dust, and I'm seriously considering an Olympus m4/3 as a replacement : either the original OMD-EM5 (or possibly the mark II), or the EM1 (the first one).

What I would like to know is the current state of the EM-1 in respect of the shutter shock issue which was news a couple of years back. As I remember, they issued firmware which put an electronic first curtain in there to eliminate it, but that rendered drive modes inoperative. I don't often use drive modes, but not being able to use them at all would definitely be a factor when considering which to buy.

I also remember reading of a newer update with stuff like focus stacking, etc. I'm not entirely sure how firmware works : I'm assuming that the newest version contains everything in the previous ones plus whatever new features it has.

If it makes any difference, I shoot pretty much everything and tend to favour longer focal lengths (I did in fact used to have the original EM5 and I loved the 45 1.8 and 75 1.8 primes).

Of the three cameras I mentioned, which would you personally go for and why? Assume that budget is not an issue, as none of them are that expensive, and used EM5s are available here (I live in Japan) for bird feed.

Thanks for any advice!

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow