Hogan, the cost of cameras and my GX1/EM5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Senior Member • Posts: 5,237
Hogan, the cost of cameras and my GX1/EM5

Just come across this article by Tom Hogan . He is not a writer I always agree with or like, but this made me stop and think and question.

I think my photography is very similar subject wise to lots of non professionals who post on these forums. I do not print big; my end use is mostly my Blog, Blub books and the occasional A4 print. I am probably quite typical.

I do not do anything like sport of BiF that needs a camera with certain characteristics.

The price of the two top flight cameras he talked about made my eyes water. It seems the camera firms are all going in this direction.

This was taken on a second hand GX1 that cost me €400. I won a landscape challenge here with this one.

This was taken on the EM5 I bought new for €900. I have two backup bodies for my other two 2.8 zooms that cost me €300 after the a glut of them came on the market when the EM5 II came out.

Taken with a €300 EM5

This was taken on my iPhone 7 which is the backbone of my studio and just happens to have a nice camera.

I do not mind spending money on lenses. I did some professional theatre photography in the distant past and I know that lenses make a difference.

I am not talking about professional photography. Just the stuff we do for fun and to record our travels or perhaps do a bit of art.

My question is what am I missing in not maxing out my credit card to get a GFX 50S ?

PS this tread is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow