Focus Sony 55-210 with dh1758 on sun

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zductive Regular Member • Posts: 159
Focus Sony 55-210 with dh1758 on sun

i had a lot of trouble (never got it right) focusing on the sun today  with this lens at 200mm with the 1.7x TC. I was trying to focus near where the a6000 showed infinity.

This evening, I focused the lens on stars and found that optimum focus was nowhere near the infinity mark. In fact, it was closer to 12M. I taped the zoom and the focus and will see if the setting works with the sun. Of course, focus will shift between dark sky and full sun. Focus shouldn't change that much though. Star field images confirmed that focus was good and the tripod (zone vi) was rock solid.

Does this make any sense?

Normally, I just focus the lens with TC and don't notice what the camera says the lens is set to. Is there something about the interaction of the lens with the TC that makes the camera distance indication meaningless?

Not one to argue with success, I plan on ignoring what the camera says so long as the images are in focus.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow