BlackRapid Straps and Tripod Plates

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WalterK Senior Member • Posts: 2,681
BlackRapid Straps and Tripod Plates

I finally tried a Black Rapid strap with my Oly OMD system, and I like it very much. The only objection I had was that I like to keep either an L-bracket or at least an Arca-type camera plate on the camera and on my lens feet at all times.

On youtube, I found a resolution plus a bonus in a video entitled BlackRapid & Arca-Swiss Solution. The BR fastener is screwed permanently into the back of a strong but lightweight quick release clamp. The video shows a Kirk QRC-1, but many others would do. The strap now clamps quickly and safely onto either side of my L-bracket, and onto the clamps on my larger lenses.

The bonus: the video shows a short (3.5") Uniloop safety strap by Optech. One part of the 2-part strap is looped onto the BR D-Ring and the other part onto the pin at the end of my L-Bracket (although it can attach to the camera's strap ring if you just use a camera plate.) The two parts snap together or apart quickly, and would save the camera if the clamp, plate, BR carabiner or fastener, or tripod socket fails.

An additional quibble about the BR strap is that the rear connector of the strap to the shoulder pad is attached with a snap connector, and can either fail on its own or with the help of a jokester or thief coming up behind you. Admittedly unlikely, but for extra protection a couple of zip-ties can be passed through the connector such that it will not open. (Of course, they can be removed by you easily if you need to.)  This was also in  a youtube video but I do not have its title handy.

I've been using the BR strap set up with these additions, and love the way it works now.

-- hide signature --

Walter K

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow