About to abandon Lightroom with Ricoh GR ii

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Olifaunt Forum Member • Posts: 98
About to abandon Lightroom with Ricoh GR ii

I am generally happy with my Ricoh GR ii JPEGs (just camera standard setting) but I do like processing some photos a bit, for which I prefer to start from the raw files (e.g., landscapes where some detail and dynamic range are not recoverable from JPEGs).

I bought Lightroom but I am about to abandon it in exasperation. Both the Adobe Standard and the Embedded colors are IMO pretty awful ("embedded" is way different from the OOC colors for the most part, surprisingly), so I find myself fiddling endlessly with sliders and curves with every picture to try to reproduce the tones in the original standard OOC JPEG that I was pleased with to begin with.

For the most part I can't even get close with Lightroom. I have tried Capture 1 and Rawtherapee as well without success.

The Ricoh Digital Camera Utility raw developer that came with the camera (once updated to the newest version) gets really close to the OOC colors but is clunky and slow to work with.

My problem is often skies, water, and vegetation. The OOC JPEG gives a good naturalistic starting point in most cases that I can't get right in LR. LR makes almost every sky an unopleasing (IMO) shade of blue that I can't get similar to the OOC color without messing up green vegetation. I ran into problems with, slightly reddish water (from rotting vegetation) that is lost in LR and couldnt be reproduced without once again messing up vegetation colors. I ihad a big issue with the color of morning glories (rich blue and magenta shades) that were beautifully reproduced in the OOC JPEG but were way off (an artificial blue with the magenta lost) with both Adobe Standard and Embedded. A red painted house that looks good in OOC JPEG comes out muddy in LR and I can't get rid of the mud. Orange lichen gets rendered yellow, etc.

What do you guys do? Do I just use the Ricoh Unitility and be done with it?

Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow