Berner's Bay Alaska

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
draacor
draacor Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Berner's Bay Alaska

Just got back from a fishing trip to Alaska. Spent 5 nights in a forest service cabin about 30 miles from Juneau. The Cabin is only accessible by boat or float plane so it was pretty remote. The locals also stated there are some big aggressive bears in the area but we never saw any. I took my Nikon D810 along with all of my lenses with me on this trip as I just wasn't sure what i would want until I needed it. Below are just a few shots i took that I thought stood out. Notice how i have very few fish photos. We struck out until the very last day and caught 3 salmon and 1 halibut. It was pouring rain and 4 foot swells on our tiny fishing boat so taking out my camera was just not possible.

First day we arrived we immediately put the crab pots in the water in hopes of at least having fresh crab for dinner each night, which we did actually get yay!

Our cabin from the walk to the portable potty on the hill. Pretty amazing scenery.

yay crab! - only allowed to eat the males though. Gotta keep the waters stocked

Shot this with an old 35 year old Nikon 135mm f3.5 manual focus lens. Not bad!!

another one with the old lens

long exposure of the rocky shore adjacent to the cabin. This was not the shore that our boat was moored at. I used a big stopper for this shot and this day was really the only sunset we had on the whole trip. It was cloudy or pouring down rain most other days.

Another with the old lens. Super happy with a 35 year old lens and never thought i would enjoy manual focus as much as i did.  This is my best bud and fellow photographer. He's a Canon shooter though so clearly not as good hehe.

This is a stitched shot of 6 photos with my 50mm 1.8. I wanted to capture the right focal range and coompression so i opted for this lens and stitched rather than use a wide angle.

Fire pit in front of our cabin. What an amazing view.

still in front of cabin. Wanted to take advantage of this light as it was close to the end of our trip and the only time we saw sun really.

Here is the beach our boat is tied up at. The water is a brisk 44 degrees so swimming was dangerous. We had to kayak out each day untie and drive it up to shore to pick up the 5 of us and supplies.

Another beach HDR shot. These are fun.

Well in all i took about 1200 photos but these are the ones that stood out for me. I have a lot more personal ones with my phone because quite frankly the weather proved difficult with my Nikon. Normally it wouldn't but compounded with being in a 22' boat with 5 people and 4 foot swells it was pretty much impossible. My only regret is we saw tons of bald eagles but i could never get a clear shot of any of them. On the last day just as a big tease, one flew right in front of the cabin window holding a fish. It was basically taunting me as i didn't even have my camera out at the time nor did i expect it. Nature sure has a sense of humor

Sorry for the long post but i was just too excited not to share my trip with you all. Hope you enjoy

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow