So....lets talk Large Format film....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
absquatulate Senior Member • Posts: 7,777
So....lets talk Large Format film....

Hang on, before you sacrifice me at the altar of the digital gods, hear me out. I'm a committed Foveon shooter, I have 5 Foveon cameras, I will remain so, so put the daggers away...for now. I've been on a little journey re-discovering film, which I'm thoroughly enjoying, I've been to the confessional and the Vicar said it was ok. So anyway, obviously being a bit of a resolution freak, I started pondering over Large Format, I shoot medium format which I really enjoy, but I'm very much of the "do it while you can" mindset. I'm not retired and I'm healthy, so carrying gear is not an issue to me. I'm also very much enjoying the slower pace and deliberate shooting style of film. I'm used to Merrill write times so why wouldn't I be?

So here's where it's going, I did a little research on Large Format film, the cameras are not hugely expensive, but the rigs are cumbersome, however, to my delight, I stumbled upon a British start-up company, which is hand making  lightweight 4x5 large format cameras, for the amazing price of £250. These cameras weigh 900g, which is impressive, and are fully functional. Obviously you need to factor in film backs and lenses, but they're not going to add too much in weight at all. So I'm going for it, got the green light from the missus, as long as I sell some other gear, which is fair enough, and I'm diving into the the LF pool. I know the limitations, I can do my own developing, I'll use my Merrills for digital conversion (See what I did there   ), it's game on, anyone on here shot LF and any tips? Oh and here's the company I'm buying from, I have no affiliation but I strongly believe in supporting home manufacturing, I'm very pleased it's a British company doing this

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow