Lens correction in body or in software, mixing brands, confused

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,559
Lens correction in body or in software, mixing brands, confused

I'm not quite understanding when or where lens correction is applied. In reading reviews of MFT lenses you often see caveats like "heavy correction" usually referring to the widest angle lenses (ie OLY 12-40 and 12-100). I gather (assume) that with OLY mounted on OLY the correction is baked into the raw and jpg files because the body reads the lens I.D. Where does the algorithm reside in this case; in the lens or the camera firmware? But what about when you mix Olympus and Panasonic? I shoot RAW for the most part and I use LR and ACR, which do not contain lens profiles for Olympus or Panasonic. An example of mixing brands is my Panasonic 20 f/1.7 on Olympus bodies, I always need to make a slight manual correction for center distortion.

Not really important to the above question, but I started wondering about lens corrections as I decide to go with MFT or FF DSLR as my wide angle format. I'm reading about corner resolution taking a slight hit on MFT because of the software corrections going on in the background. Even the Olympus 12mm prime needs correction.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow