M5 vs G5X (or M6 vs G1X II)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Lightgreen Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
M5 vs G5X (or M6 vs G1X II)

I've been spending some time on the Powershot threads lately, mainly due to interest in the rumored upcoming PowerShot G, whatever it is. Have some nostalgia with the G1X II which I used to own. It was a VERY fun camera between it's lens, sensor size, handling (2 dials on the lens itself is awesome). It just fell flat in terms of DR (which does matter if you're getting highlight blowouts all the time), and the lack of resolution and responsiveness with RAW did get old. Also (largely) I missed options of a fast prime, and wide angles.

But, I've come to realize, my M5 really is a good design; it is in effect, an updated G5X or G1X II (M6 would be closer in that regard), with a bigger, newer sensor that has more DR, doesn't have RAW chomp problems, better AF, and I can swap out lenses as desired. What it does lack is an equivalent all-around "fast" zoom lens. 18-150 f/3.5-6.3 is not the droid I'm looking for. A 15-75 f/2.5-4.5 is much (much) more ideal. Give it some reasonable macro distance, and holy moly.

This is all to say two things; the M5 is the spiritual successor to the G1X / G5X series, but, has interchangeable lens options. And, the EF-M lacks an equivalent lens as fast, as it's Powershot predecessors.

Lightgreen's gear list:Lightgreen's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Rokinon 50mm F1.2 AS UMC +1 more
Canon EOS M6 Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow