MFT reducing noise for larger prints?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Better-DY New Member • Posts: 17
MFT reducing noise for larger prints?

Anyone have any success stacking multiple images in PhotoShop or Lightroom to reduce noise and boost image resolution?

Generally, find this is not a major issue with MFT given decent post processing on a single image and noise reduction and sensible sharpening and masking. But compared to a FF DSLR, it can be more of an issue on landscapes.

I am using a Panasonic GX85 for travel and recently shot some decent landscape photographs in Costa Rica where I found this came up. Notice a fair amount of noise in the sky in several shots and as I turn up the noise reduction, it starts negatively impacting image detail. So for smaller prints and maybe up to 11x14" really no issue, but if one wanted to print up to 16x20", or that range, the noise becomes discernible enough that I wondered about stacking or other techniques.

I tried the following (per the link) at home to see what results I would get ... and candidly, they don't look a whole lot different and even modestly less good with regard to noise. Of course it could be user error, as in mine, but I did try it a couple of times on different 15 image, hand held composites per the instructions.

https://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/

The following is an example of a shot where I noticed (to my eye) "noise creep" in the sky in larger printed image prints. Had to do it over, if I had been standing there today, and I knew of a good post stacking protocol or something, I would have fired off 10 or twenty shots either hand held or with a tripod.

I realize some of the inherent trade-offs with MFT and this isn't MFT-remorse! Appreciate any input or views.

Better-DY's gear list:Better-DY's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow