AF-P DX 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wolffn Regular Member • Posts: 124
AF-P DX 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR

I am not going to say a lot about this lens because I can't speak in technical terms. I am appreciating it more as I go along. It's light, can go anywhere and is simple to use. It can give good sharpness and colour.

I use it mainly with a D3400 as a backup for bird photography. I have tested it over 200 meters and the results are nearly as good as the Coolpix P510 over that distance - yes Coolpix has a 180mm telephoto on a 1/2.3 sensor with 16MB max JPEG files and it was my yardstick. But I won't likely use it over that distance except for emus or elephants, both of which are in short supply.

A 300mm DX lens does not quite have the magnification needed for small birds over moderate distances (30-40 meters). If I can get close to the bird; say 5-6 meters the image is big enough to minimize cropping. I think when I get back to Australia it will come into it's own because we have a lot of larger birds that can withstand human presence.

I have tried this on the D3400 with the macro setting. At the minimal focus (1 metre) it gives a good sized image of bumble bee on a flower but not much detail. So not a macro just a closeup - but i wouldn't be posting any images. Not much use for a close-up except if all you want to do is record an event - you might be a butterfly or bug enthusiast.

What I really want to report is that this (AF-P) lens costing US$399 was my replacement for the AF-S 70-300mm f3.5-5.6 E ED IF VR (I think that is roughly the right descriptor) which cost me US$499. I bought the (AF-S) lens on recommendation from a salesman in a well known chain store with a name like BB. After 2 weeks I took it back; even though it was obviously a better quality build. I just could not get reliable sharpness at full extent. How I found out was by checking it long distance down an alley against the P510. P510 showed the shingles on the house 250 meters away very clearly. The more expensive AF-S  70-300 was a blurry mess.

When I checked online previews of the AF-S lens I found that other reviewers and testers noted poor sharpness at the edges at full zoom and long distance. However they glossed this over. Using it on a DX camera did not remove the problem

I rate sharpness (focus) paramount for shooting wildlife. So for me an example of the cheaper lens (AF-P 70-300) doing better for the purpose I intend.

It seems I cant post this without a star rating - hmmm! The rating shown is only for the limits and uses I have outlined

Wolffn's gear list:Wolffn's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Lens • Nikon F (DX)
Announced: Aug 17, 2016
Wolffn's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon Coolpix P510 Nikon D3400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow