Canon and the world of tomorrow...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
herion Regular Member • Posts: 473
Canon and the world of tomorrow...

I've been noodling about all the speculation posts about the "upcoming" FF mirrorless camera and here are some common-sense thoughts:

1. The battery is going to be HUGE. The cam is going to have to provide Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS and drive the EVF .... AND PROVIDE THE SAME BATTERY LIFE OF THE LP-E6N.

2. First and foremost, Canon is out to make money; and the money to be made is in the lenses, not the body. So it is doubtful that an "EF-X" mount would be developed. Given #1 above, there will be plenty of room to slide an EF mount into the body. With that said, however, if Sigma and Tamron can swap mounts, so can Canon. Buy the camera, send your EF (and maybe EF-S) mount lenses in, and get an EF-X mount and a recalibration. (Another source of income for the company).

3. Multi-axis electronic IS body stablization is going to be needed for stills as well as video

4. Flippy screen will be a must for their first gen mirrorless. A later version may drop it a la the 5D and 1D PRO differentiation.

5. Probably at this point, Canon will introduce it's own "Tap In" console to upgrade firmware and make micro-adjustments. Of course, this will be offered as part of the CPS program, so along with your annual subscription, you also get a subscription to the lens firmware and adjustment database. Canon will differentiate itself console-wise by providing a "de-brick" option so in the event of a failed update, you can at least boot the lens into a receptive state to try again.

6. With the chunkier body, there will be more surface area for heat dissipation, so standard 4K or 8K abilities; but these will still be limited to protect the Cinema line.

Whenever this beast comes out, I'll take a look. Right now, I have great lenses and both APS-C and FF bodies - I don't need anything else right now and I'm concentrating on taking great pics with what I have and improving my techniques.

herion's gear list:herion's gear list
Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow