Burning up AF motors?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
brycesteiner
brycesteiner Senior Member • Posts: 1,856
Burning up AF motors?

I just went through my second AF motor in one week.

On Saturday, August 12 I was taking pictures for of a parade with my E-M5II and I was using the older 14-45 kit lens and suddenly it just decided to "check lens" or something like that. The only thing I could do was make sure that I was below 30mm in the zoom or I would get it again and lock up the camera. I ordered one of the pancake 14-45 lens with the digital zoom and got that.

So everything is good. Well I get out my Panasonic 100-300 lens for the start of my 2017 football season tonight and it won't focus at all. It doesn't even appear to try. I thought I was on MF but it doesn't have a switch for it and the camera was not on MF. I switched it to another camera just to test that and it wouldn't even attempt on my E-M1.  I put the 40-150 2.8 and it focused so I knew it wasn't the camera.

Any ideas? Should I send it in or just get another? The image quality on the Panasonic 100-300 is quite a bit better than my 40-150 2.8 in most situations and the reach is longer so that is why I like it. The quality and speed promises of the 40-150 2.8 was overhyped or I have a bad lens. It will lock focus quickly but it's not that accurate and usually focuses back even though the square shows otherwise.

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow