Stills mode better for video!? a6500/a7r2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hokejka New Member • Posts: 10
Stills mode better for video!? a6500/a7r2

Hey guys, been lurking on here for a while. Finally posting! Nice to be on the forums

I just took a trip and shot video with my a6500 and a7r2. Near the end I noticed that when in MF mode I did not see focus distance on the a6500 but did see it on the a7r2. Had me stumped for a while and I figured it out after a bit of troubleshooting. Turns out I had my custom video settings saved from video mode on a6500 and stills mode on a7r2. Now I looked at videos from both and they both look great. So it had me thinking... Is there any advantage of video mode on any of these cameras?  A clear advantage when shooting video in stills mode is you still get to see focus distance in MF! To me thats a big deal as it shows where Im at when I pull focus. All other settings can be just as easily controlled in stills mode.

The only advantage of video mode I can think of would be on the a6500 where you have the option of using S&Q but thats semi-useless anyway as it reduces your bitrate to 50mbps. Anyone serious about video will just record normal and fix speed in post.

So..Any real advantages to video mode? Is everyone shooting video in stills mode and im just living in the past? How do you guys shoot?

Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow