X200: what to hope for the lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
progo Regular Member • Posts: 109
X200: what to hope for the lens?

First of all, sorry if this is a beaten topic.

We all know and love the brave little pancake on the X100 series, but it doesn't come without some shortcomings as well. Spherical aberration, focal length won't be loved by all, slow "one-way" AF motor. Maybe someone wants it to be even sharper, someone wants it to be even faster.

Me, I personally love 35 mm angle and F/2.0 is plenty for my needs. (It's the spherical aberration that holds me back. Not a fan of the effect.) The lens is a bit fiddly to use because of its size. When zone focusing, it's easy to accidentally jump the focus off. The fly-by-wire focus mechanism is not the most responsive either.

After handling the Leica Q I kinda fell in love with its lens's handling: the hard stops and very firm focus wheel. If X200 had a lens with more such heft, firmness, with hard stops like the Magic 16, it could be just perfect.

To achieve gains, sometimes we have to compromise. To get a better grip on the focus wheel and get rid of the aberration, it probably has to gain some, dimension-wise. If the compromised a little and allowed the lens gain a little length? Think X100 lens with the adapter on: https://flic.kr/p/9GShM6

What do you think, would you be willing to give in in size to gain better handling on it?

I'm skipping the X100F because of these minor things, and do hope X200 would bring something new on the table when it comes!

progo's gear list:progo's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Fujifilm X100T Leica Q
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow