Let's Talk Focus on a6500 for Video

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
gabstero
gabstero New Member • Posts: 16
Let's Talk Focus on a6500 for Video

Hi gang!

So I am trying to clear the confusion I have about the way the AF-C works on the a6500 in conjunction with the Focus Zones, the AF Track Sens, and Face Detect in situations when I want simply to record video on a human subject that does move quite a bit (read: kids).
I am trying to find a setting that makes sense to the camera and get the best of focus tracking on a moving target.

I am aware of the Center Lock-on AF that tracks the subject but honestly, I didn't have much luck with it, and I find it that it cannot be trusted (for instance tracking a kid running, while another one crosses the path and "steals" the tracking point from the previous.
I don't understand how the Flexible and Expand Flexible Spot focus area works differently from simply tapping the touch screen to do a focus pull on a subject while I am in Wide Zone.

To complicate things, how does Face Detect play in when I have my Focus zones set to one of the Expandable spots?
I think it's a priority game on what function takes precedence in achieving focus on a moving target. And that's the thing I am trying to understand. I am curious how some of you aproach the focus settings on several situations with moving targets.
Thanks a lot for reading my ramblings

Gabi

Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow