Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 8,731
Re: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Lens

I don't know if you can say such a statement outright.

My test prints were done with real life scenes, at distance; a vastly different scenario than a monochrome test chart at closer distance. It was noticeable which lens was sharper, and which print had more subjective "bite" and "life", even at F/9.  And as such, the much more important question is one that is not a hard line yes or no answer, and that is how important is image quality at 50mm versus how important having another focal length that he feels he needs. Not a question you or I can answer for the OP.

Offhand, I would tend to say if he really feels the 20mm is a needed focal length, then focal length has to be more important than achieving entry into the highest level of image quality at 50mm. I have both the 20 and the 50, and while I absolutely love the Sigma 50 art for landscape and that has been borne out in all of my testing, if I had neither lens, I'd probably get the 20 first myself because I'm far more likely to use 20mm for landscape than 50.

The other factor of course is whether the scenes the OP shoots and the shot discipline, tripod quality, etc, of the OP is sufficient to not be a weak part of a chain, which obviously could minimize the differences.

-m

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow