Sony A7R shedding plastic granules from lens mount

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tomktoo New Member • Posts: 11
Sony A7R shedding plastic granules from lens mount

Hi,

I have been using my A7R for over 18 months and have been frustrated with the amount of debris on the sensor in comparison to my Nikon cameras. I accept that as a mirrorless design there is no protection from dust and debris when a lens is changed but this has been getting worse, so much so I returned the camera which has an extended warranty to the manufacturer. They returned the camera having changed the mount plate "MB N Plate B 755" and an "individual, Glass AS" all FOC within six days of their receipt of the camera. So no real complaint about speed of service.

After the return I was very careful about changing the lens but still started getting some fairly large particles on the sensor. I am using a large rubber blower to remove the debris but I am finding even after I cleaned the sensor this way once I remounted a lens I would have again the debris issue. So I conducted tests in my office and found that the plastic lens mount on the A7R was shedding particles eroded by the metal bayonet of lens as it rotated onto the plastic camera bayonet. So even in a relatively clean area I was unable to maintain a clean sensor as the camera system itself was depositing debris onto the sensor.

I have since written to Sony, no reply received, raised the matter with their national service centre to be told that the camera is within specification so they can do nothing further. So is the design compromised and are they concerned at the possible costs if they admit responsibility? The process with their national service centre in the UK was conducted by telephone and I have requested their response in writing to which they have not responded.

So my question, is this an acceptable company to continue to which to give my money? I really enjoy using the camera from other aspects and would really like to continue using the system as the results have been so good. Great image fidelity using lens from Voigtlander 15mm FE and Sony 28mm FE f2, 35mm f1.4 over complex menu system but no camera is perfect but why a plastic lens mount on a camera which now retails at £1,979.00 rrp in the UK.  I have read other threads that suggest replacing the mount with the unit from the A7S which I would be happy to do but Sony have warned me that I will invalidate my warranty if I do yet they refuse any resolution.

The reason I have moved from Nikon, which have provided me with great service over the last 40 years, is I need an EVF as I have some eye issues and the A7R is my second camera so equipped . My previous, being a Ricoh GXR which was a joy to use until they discontinued the product.

Kind regards, Tom Kershaw.

tomktoo's gear list:tomktoo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D7200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
ANSWER:
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow