Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anthelix Regular Member • Posts: 369
Small camera body with EVF and manual controls

Hi !

Short version :

I need a small, lightweight camera body with

• Plenty of dials for direct access to manual settings (aperture, ss, exposure compensation, metering mode, af mode...)
  • A decent EVF (mandatory, I'm totally unable to use a rear screen), with good eye relief and a magnification of at least ~0.6x "FF equivalent" (around 1.2x in the mft world). Are there "rainbow effects" to be aware of ?
  • "Good enough" performance, I don't need a state of art camera, as long as it has one of those good Sony sensors. An "mk1" generation camera would do the job I think. Af speed and stabilization efficiency are not that important.
  • No compatibility issues with Panasonic lenses, in particular for fly by wire focus (I use manual focus a lot)

Long version :

I've used for many years Nikon SLRs, but their weight and bulkiness has become a severe hindrance.

A few years ago I switched to Fuji, a true liberation. I really enjoyed the small lenses they were realising at the time : 18-55mm f/2.8-4, 35mm f/1.4, 14mm f/2.8.

But I use the short tele range a lot and I'm a zoom guy. Alas, Fuji never released a compact short telezoom and will probably never do. I bought the 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 (only marginally larger than their 50-230) and it has become my most used lens,  but the bulkiness makes me feel I'm back to square one, ending with a DSLR-sized camera.

On the other side, Panasonic has this nice 35-100mm f/4-5.6 which has just the right focal range for me. Sure it's not a fast lens, but it's so small ! Now I need a camera to use it.

So I would like a camera I could use as a complement to my Fuji system. I'm leaning more towards Olympus, but I'm open to suggestions. I tried the mk2 em1, em5 and em10 in a shop. The em1 has the best hand holding but is too large and heavy (and expensive) for my taste. The em10 fits well in the hand. The em5 was the sexiest but the hand holding didn't impress me.

I'm currently learning towards a used em10 mk1 or a cheap new mk2 when they release the mk3. What do you think I should do ? Am I missing something ?

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow