Property release for generic scenery?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DTPix New Member • Posts: 3
Property release for generic scenery?

Hello,

I'm embarking on a project to make travel videos. They'll be published on the usual video sharing sites and unquestionably be of a commercial nature. (ie, I'll be trying to make money at this.) I've been mining my personal travel photography for great shots of natural scenery to put into the videos - and then I went down the rabbit hole, reading online about property releases.

I understand about not using pictures that feature highly recognizable private property. Example: Years ago I photographed (the exterior of) a castle, in the UK. It's a tourist site, private property, very recognizable, and the pics were taken from their parking lot. So, ok, I figure I can't use those.

But I also have many great shots of rural landscapes that may include some unrecognizable private property. For example, pictures in the Alps that are large landscapes of mountains, but, of course, there are a lot of farms and livestock and homes and entire villages in the scenes.

Like a really lovely one of a lake in Germany, with the mountains reflecting in it, and a field of cattle in the foreground. Clearly, the field and the cattle are the private property of a farmer. No signs, home, machinery, or other identifiable items appear in the pic. (I realize the odds of the German farmer ever seeing my use of this pic is infinitesimally small - but I still want to be on the right side of the law.)

Or a great picture in the Rocky Mountains, taken FROM a ski resort, but capturing only mountains - no ski resort hardware or buildings.

Speaking of "from" - that reminds me, many of these pictures will have been taken from the balcony of a hotel room, or the yard of a rented cottage, or the top of a mountain in a ski resort, or from a cruise ship. I was a tourist - had no 'permission' for a commercial photo shoot.

Oh, and some exciting aerial landscape photos, (and video), taken from a small plane that did aerial tours for tourists in the U.S.

And I'm in North America.

Obviously I have no release forms for any of them. As I said, I was a tourist. Can I use these commercially?

Thank you for any guidance.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow