On-Topic NR for Harry

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CX Bob
CX Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
On-Topic NR for Harry

Hey, Harry!

Here's a clip from the J5 reference manual regarding your original post question.

It looks as if the situation is the same as with the other N1 models.
Perhaps you were looking at the 'User's' as opposed to the 'Reference' manual.
Here's a link for the latter if it's helpful.
http://download.nikonimglib.com/archive2/KHQwO00QyCaO010Bia9982yA7991/1J5RM_(En)02.pdf

Please let me repeat that this entire high iso noise reduction situation is of no consequence unless you're shooting in-camera jpegs.  It has no effect whatsoever on raw files, other than that a 'tag' is put on the file that alerts certain Nikon software to automatically adjust settings in a way that Nikon thinks most people will appreciate. You can easily over-ride these settings in Capture NX2;  I'm not sure if NXD has been restricted with this or not.  If you're using any other post processing software for raw files, the whole thing is irrelevant! You don't have to re-adjust noise reduction that was never applied in the first place.  Raw files don't have things 'applied' to them, anyway. That's why they're raw.  I have no idea why there has always been and continues to be so much misinformation and some sort of 'conspiracy theory' going on about this relatively simple situation.  

Nikon 1 J5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow