Considering 24-70mm(F2.8) for Travel

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 5,730
Re: Considering 24-70mm(F2.8) for Travel

I just did a major picture taking trip with the A9 and the 24-70GM along with the 12-24. I also took along my Olympus Em1 Mk2 with 12-50 (like a 14-100). When I wanted near prime like quality I toted the 24-70 and A9. For the landscape and night shots I used the 12-24G. For the long hikes I took the Olympus with the excellent 12-50.

If weight is a prime concern at times, you might consider the dual system approach as I'm loving the flexibility.

I also used to have a Canon FF setup with the 24-70. I'm really liking the Sony system. The eye tracking and programming the side lens button on the 24-70 GM to enable same when doing people pics or moving grand-kid pics is a fantastic feature.

I put off adding the Sony system till they started coming out with some outstanding lens choices. That 24-70 f4 was a reason to avoid the system rather than jumping in imo.
But now with the many excellent 3rd party lens choices for primes like the Batis series and the newer GM and newest G lenes like that 12-14, this is a great system!

Still, physics and full-frame are going to always favor the smaller sensor system when total weight is a consideration. I find the Olympus system a perfect companion for when that need arises.

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow