Build quality of Sony GM lenses (sealing, dust proofing, quality control, etc.)

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,678
Re: Build quality of Sony GM lenses (sealing, dust proofing, quality control, etc.)

Zozzka wrote:

Dear GM lens users,

I'd like to switch from Canon to Sony gear in the next days. I'm hesitating on starting with two GM lenses, namely 16-35mm f/2.8 GM and 100mm f/2.8 STF GM.

Why the switch?

I've read several talks about this topic and collected quite inconsistent information.

Sounds normal.

Is it more common to find dust inside in brand new lenses (let's say, compared to Canon)? Do GM lenses tend to gather more internal dust over time than sealed Canon lenses?

No body knows that. Also, over time, no one knows, as the lenses are recent.

Some reviewers wrote the gaskets at the lens mount are useless, as there is a gap between de rubber ring and the mount on the body. Has anybody of you experienced this?

Every body experiences this, as there are no O-rings in the Sony cameras, to complement the O-rings on some lenses. Again, this is normal, not all Canon cameras feature the O-rings too. Still, better to have an O-ring on the lens than not.

Should I worry about sample variation (e.g. decentering issues)?

Not more than with any other brand.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus PEN-F Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow