Is Videography so difficult? Advice, please...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rapick
rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,784
Is Videography so difficult? Advice, please...

I have been using digital cameras for more than 15 years, now...

And my latest cameras (Samsung NX3000 and mainly Sony RX100 III) include some not-so-bad "movie" capabilities, but I never used them!

Now I have been offered a great opportunity: my friend of a jazz band are playing a series of concerts in September. They appreciate my photographic "skill" (I made the cover images for their published CD's) and asked me to record videos of the concerts, this time.

Most of the venues will be inside a hotel lounge, by duo or trio ensembles. Low light and limited spaces, but at least no crowd (hopefully!)

But I really don't know where to start with that. I got some advice on the basic settings from online sources BUT...

Of course it would be great to get the soundtrack synchronized with the images: does this mean I will have to keep the camera running with no stop at least during the whole duration of each song... as I discarded the idea of using a separate recorder for the sound track.

So I have to put the camera on a tripod, and keep it steady... But this way the only way for bringing "life" into the movie is some panning ad zooming... very limiting.

What about having one camera fixed on the tripod, and using another one handheld to show details from different points of view? then I could mix the clips in an editor. Too difficult? Dreaming?

I still could advice them to hire a professional videographer!

BTW: I know sound recording from my RX100 is not that great. But fortunately not a big problem: they will prefer to sell their own CD's!

Any advice / suggestion welcome.

-- hide signature --
 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Sony RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Samsung NX3000 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pgb
pgb
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow