IS and battery life

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cscanlon Forum Member • Posts: 73
IS and battery life

Hi -- I have a few Canon lenses (budget -- kit 55, and the EF-S 10-18) and have a question about stabilization: I know that battery life is extended to some degree when IS is off... i'm curious the degree to which the degree of actual vibrations impact the battery use.

I'm shooting a time lapse (of the eclipse) and need the battery to last as long as possible. Since I'm doing a landscape shot wide-angle, IS is hardly even useful, so I'll probably just turn it off, but it might be windy, and I'm also just academically curious about the question.

E.g. if the camera is sitting on a counter inside, IS will probably still consume some amount of energy, despite the camera being still.

If we compare this to the camera on a tripod in the wind, it's going to use significantly more, I assume?

Or does IS just consume a pretty steady amount of power regardless of the intensity of the vibrations? Maybe the imperceptible vibrations in the world are enough to keep the IS motors running all the time?

As a second question, what kind of difference would the IS make to the overall battery life? Are we talking 5% reduction or 50%? (I was hoping to avoid doing the experiment myself for the sake of not cycling a battery, but obviously that's the acid test.)

I'm currently getting about 4800 frames on one battery (JPG's, every 2 seconds) which is just about adequate to capture the partial and total eclipse... but it's cutting it close, and it'd be nice to know how the IS plays in to the battery life.

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow