What Sony can learn from Panasonic

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 6,664
What Sony can learn from Panasonic

I've posted my impression of my 2.5 week old G85 in the m4/3 forum. I have a Canon NEX-5t and a5100 so I also know how good Sony products are. I will pass on the current A7 lines and wait for the A7 iii. I know I will not be satisfied with what the A7 ii or A7R ii has to offer at this time.

The A7 iii specs have already been laid down maybe a year ago. And for all we care, the parts to build them are already ordered. So, I very much doubt anything I will write down will matter much to change them anymore, unless they have already been part of the design on the onset. They are still worth mentioning because, if not for this release,  in future releases, they can help Sony remove many nagging criticisms levied against them that has persisted through the years. Quite amazingly, many of them are not hard to implement, and in fact have been done already in the past!

First, Sony should finally do a proper touch screen implementation. I find it puzzling why you can only do touch screen in focusing only!? In the first place, they have already done this. It's not as if it's something new. The Nex-5T can do full touchscreen implementation already. And this is a 4-5 year old camera! The only problem with the 5T was that it used a resistive type touch screen instead of capacitive so it is not very respsonsive. Or maybe the Bionz processor is not yet that fast to handle operations of that type. But they have already done in, so what's keeping them from implementing it right? Besides, it's not as if they don't have that technology or it is a secret or protected by massive patents that is not licensible. They do make smartphones. Surely they can use the tech there in for their cameras?! For proper use of touch screen, pick up a Lumix G85 and Sony can learn a trick or two on how it's done. The G85 even uses side-tabs in the lcd itself so that you don't need a physical button or dial to attach an action or function! But just having the basic menus touch-screen operatable is already a good start.

Second, in line with touch-screens is the UI or the menu system. Again, they can learn a trick or two from how Panasonic does it. I am not saying they should go to a vertical scrolling tab. They can still maintain a Canon-like horizontal tab but implement it the way Panasonic does. In the G85, you can use the front dial in the shutter button, to move tab-to-tab, while the rear dial moves the selection under each tab. And of course, the arrow keys can be used as well. And the 3rd option, and sometimes the best, is simply to touch the LCD! The bottom line is to simplify and group the items that should be grouped logically. And if it is a duplicate (eg. filters), have those options in both photo and video sub-tabs/options. Again, Sony should take a look at what Panasonic is doing and take some lessons from it.

3rd - Sony should start implementing a fully articulating screen. I am not so sure why they are averse to using a side-tilt screen like Panasonic or Canon. If they don't like that, why not use the well thought of articulating screen of the A9 ii? If they don't like that, again, the NEX-5t can articulate, to a selfie. It's not the best but it can. I still think the A99 ii can be implemented in future cameras. The best for me is still the side articulating screen a la Panasonic g85/gh5/gh4 or the Canon 6d2/77d/80d/800d.

I will stop at these 3. There are others that needs to be done, improved or changed like finally using the A9's longer lasting battery, better wifi implementation etc.But I think these 3, if addressed will greatly enhance Sony's future upgrades. These are basic flaws that are tolerated simply because of the awesomeness of the Sony sensor, it's AF, dynamic range, etc, so people tolerate it. But these 3 can alienate others as well. The thing is, it's not as if they are impossible or hard to implement. So, why not finally put to rest these issues once and for all, so they can finally focus on things that really require R&D?

These are the 3 areas that Sony can learn a lot from Panasonic cameras. And Panasonic also makes these menus/UI the same for all their cameras, so that you can use an LX100 or an FZ1000, or the GH5 and it will all have the same look and feel. Any differences are just implementation of new features or new options not available in some models or older cameras. But the user experience is fundamentally the same.

So, how about it Sony, can you please do these 3 improvements in your future camera releases?

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Marti58
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow