Dealing with highlights and shadows in frame.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FallenLeaf Photography
FallenLeaf Photography Regular Member • Posts: 214
Dealing with highlights and shadows in frame.

So I feel like I've been missing something pretty obvious and simple in my still fresh venture into photography and was hoping someone could give me some pointers.  I have a very hard time with my camera dealing with a frame which has strong high-lit areas (like direct high sun onto leaves around me) and fairly shadowed areas (like the shadows under trees near me, or a model in the shade).  Even if I work to make sure I'm not clipping on the histogram, I feel like I have a really hard time dealing with scenes that have a high range of exposure in them without things being really under or over exposed.  I'm curious if there may be a metering mode that will do way better to help speed things up and make it easier for me/give me a better result in such dynamic brightness environments, or really anything else when I know that I will have both shadows and strong highlights.  Especially when I shoot video (I use a canon M3), the content is near unusable because it's typically a range of over exposed to highlights, or if I really stop it down, lower the exposure compensator, etc. then everything is really dark and the highlights may still be too strong for good quality.

Give me less extreme lighting and I can make images that I am sublimely happy with, but I just don't know how to deal with such harsh lit scenes where it's not all bright.  Any pointers?  I'm not even sure how to frame it or where to start as I feel like I'm just saying "bright things are hard when not everything is bright," so any help is appreciated!

FallenLeaf Photography's gear list:FallenLeaf Photography's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow