Canon lens hood vs aftermarket

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mkphoto79 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Canon lens hood vs aftermarket

I know this has been discussed a lot but I wasn't able to find a specific answer to this question.

My new (refurbished) EF-S 10-22 is coming this Friday and typical for Canon since it doesn't have an "L" in the name it comes without a lens hood.  I'm firmly in the camp of using hoods rather than UV filters after I noticed a huge improvement in image quality once I started shooting without UV filters on one of my other lens.  So now I've ditched all my UV filters unless I'm shooting somewhere I know the lens will be subjected to dirt or water like at the beach.

Anyway, to my question.  The hood for the EF-S 10-22 is the EW-83E, which is the same hood as the EF 16-35L and EF 17-40L if I'm not mistaken.  Does Canon do anything different to those hoods compared to the ones they make for non-L lenses?   All of my other lens hoods are aftermarket/3rd party and I haven't had any issues in how the perform or attach.  However since the hood for this lens is also the same as the hoods for a few L lenses I was wondering if they were any different?  Coatings or different finish on the inside of the hood, etc?

The EW-83E is $45 from Canon and $29 on Amazon but I can find any number of other brands for as low as $5-$10.

So after all that, is the Canon one worth the extra money?

-- hide signature --

-Mike

mkphoto79's gear list:mkphoto79's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow