How obvious is the benefit?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 22,708
How obvious is the benefit?

Now that so many photographers have "up-graded" to so-called full frame cameras from APS-C cameras, can some of you be kind enough to tell me if the pictures are noticeably better.

To be more specific, For similar shots under similar conditions, such as that blue flower in the garden, or the new Mustang in the driveway, or the teenagers all dressed up for the big dance, or the front of the new house...

And standing closer or farther away or changing lenses, ...

For the most part, how big a difference is there between the full frame camera and the APS-C camera.

Since there is no "difference" unit we can use, lets compare, for the old guys here, a 35mm film 8x10 picture compared with a 645 picture enlarged to 8x10, and a 6x7 picture enlarged to 8x10.

Plus X with Tri-X.

I used to have a friend named Pete who was a wedding shooter, with a storefront. When I looked in his window, I could always tell the Hasselblad 11 x 14s from the Nikon 11 x 14s, but there wasn't much difference in the 4x6 and 4 x 4 proof prints.

I'm curious, too... Now that there are high MP cameras and people are writing about the need to buy new expensive lenses when moving from, say, an 18 MP camera to a 50MP camera.

Does any one remember having to buy new lenses when we moved from 8MP cameras to 24MP cameras?

Bottom line here... while scientific instruments can measure improvements, can people actually notice?

Thanks.

BAK

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow