Rumored D850, Game Changing?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 1,870
Rumored D850, Game Changing?

With all the 6D Mark II noise, the leaked D850 marketing material has kinda slipped under the radar. If the rumors hold true, Nikon is poised to really deliver something special for high res shooting. Game changing… well… maybe. Yeah that term gets thrown around quite often. Self admittedly, I do think it’s used too much, but a high res camera capable of up to 9 fps will do just that. Change the Nature and Wildlife game. True, for sport shooters it could be useful, but in no way required. Portrait shooters… again some may find it useful, but in all, more hassle than it's worth. It also removes the need for two different cameras for advanced enthusiast shooters. However, for the Nature/Wildlife guys that combination is pure gold. Seemingly the only downfall will be the high ISO performance (aside from any additional handicaps imposed to upsell its flagship).

The issue that I have is, I don’t see Canon sending a volley back. I think they were confident they were going to have a significant edge in resolution to nullify any serious Sony and Nikon rebuttals, but here we are. There’s no doubt the Sony will follow with 10’ish fps mirrorless A7r III, as they have proven they can put that level of data processing into their bodies, with the A9. The good news, Canon seems to have the infrastructure in the body to match or challenge those figures. I would assume the multiple processing streams can be modified to handle to load, but effectively doubling the frame rate just seems like too big of a step for Canon to make. The Canon conspiracy theorists will say it cannibalizes the model lines (and yes I’m in that boat), but above all I just don’t see Canon using their engineering might to react to other companies. That’s simply not their M.O. So where does that leave the Canon Nature/Wildlife guys… I don’t see it being an enviable position.

Either way, Nikon’s announcement is expected very soon so feel free to sound off.

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +19 more
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5DS R Nikon D850 Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
FD
YWG
Yxa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow