Revisiting Diffraction with an Apodized "Iris"

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Joofa Senior Member • Posts: 2,481
Re: Revisiting Diffraction with an Apodized "Iris"

Joofa wrote:

hjulenissen wrote:

Joofa wrote:

In this case it is just the Fourier transform of a (possibly truncated) Gaussian. No need to make it sound more complicated than it is.

-- hide signature --

So when the image processing people have found favorite kernels to use in their image (down) scaling applications, such as windowed sinc lanczos2/3 or more complex non-separable functions, could those results be used as a guide to the subjectively preferred trade-off between main-lobe width, spatial ringing?

I think Alan R.'s post touches a bit upon lines of main lobe / ringing suppression.

EDIT: Goodman has Figure 6.14 (2nd Edition) to illustrate the effect upon frequency range in the sense of side lobes.

BTW, HJulenissen, your post made me think about the more modern turn signal processing and EE are taking regarding sampling, signal representation, etc. that go far beyond the antiquated frequency spectrum based stuff such as transfer functions based upon frequency response, MTF, PSF, etc., and how Optics will fit in? Some of that is related to compressed sensing also, but not all of it. Outside of Quantum Optics, fundamental Optics (such as Fourier Optics) had traditionally been a derivative to developments in EE and signal processing. But, signal processing and EE have moved on. Optics needs to be upgraded somehow. But, I'm not sure how?

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow