6D and handheld shots at night - of noctilucent clouds

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,558
6D and handheld shots at night - of noctilucent clouds

Lately the discussions have been quite hot  around 6D and 6DMkII. And high ISO and DR.

I just wanted to remind that it is possible to take interesting photos with 6D. I have often meditated how i should take photographs  of aurora borealis - usually it means a good tripod and standing somewhere in the extremely cold night for a longer time. We have them sometimes... in the winter.

Some time ago i noticed noctilucent clouds that have nothing to do with aurora - these a re thin clouds some 82km above sea level - and they occur in special circumstances . Sun below horizon but not too far  and so on Perhaps they have something to do with climate change because they have been described first time some 150 years ago. Perhaps "manmade"

I used the "handheld night shot"-option of my 6D - i just wanted to try it because i did not want to take the tripod out of my car and i just opened the window ... lazy.   Yes yes  - i  know , that serious photographers never use it.But iI'm not so serious...

Anyway, the images do not look bad and there really was not much effort.

It would be interesting to hear if some serious photographer has tried it for shooting aurora (it could work?)

From my kitchen window in Hanko Finland

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fuji X-T1 and the new 80D are my favourites - also 6D for landscapes and portraits

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 +16 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow