NEX 7 & the Solar Eclipse-thoughts?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
felixdacat Regular Member • Posts: 194
NEX 7 & the Solar Eclipse-thoughts?

Just wanted some feedback to help clarify some of my thoughts.

The NEX 7 utilizes an electronic viewfinder.  Therefore, I'm looking at an electronic image and so will not be subject to the intense UV light that can cause damage.  I saw an article off the main DPReview page that said that the eclipse could damage the camera if in live view.  That should not be in play here, right?

I also saw something on TV last night that said to not watch the eclipse on your cell phone screen.  The only thing I could think of was maybe there would be enough UV bleed from the edge of the phone to cause harm.  Wouldn't putting the phone if VR glasses avoid that (I don't have those, but I was curious)?

FYI...I'm not really interested in the super close up, scientific eclipse image.  I'm going for a more landscape picture during totality...the picture with the black dot in the middle.  I remember an Ansel Adams eclipse photo from Hawaii that was like that.  Therefore, I'm not real interested in the lead up to totality which is the most dangerous part of viewing the eclipse.  However, with the eclipse taking place at 2:30 EDT, the sun is going to be very high in the sky.  I'm going to need to frame with foreground objects, like trees, buildings, or towers.

-- hide signature --

FX
NEX-7, 16-70 F4, 55-200
Canon Powershot S3
Former Pro Photographer
Nikon User 1977-2012
I know the difference between an F Stop and a Bus Stop

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow