any good small standard zooms out there ?

Started Aug 14, 2017 | Discussions thread
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 6,121
Re: Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS....

samtheman2014 wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

samtheman2014 wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

..Yes, it's quite sharp, and has its own character, which is fascinating sometimes - however for some reason I prefer to use more modern lenses on digital sensor.

Ari

Ideally I also like to use modern lenses on digital cameras and had the 24-70mm F/4 been a better performer it would have done the job just fine

Yes, I think people undervalues 24-70mm F/4. It's not perfect, and a bit pricey, but can offer overall pretty high quality photos.

The odd negative report may be an outlier , when a lens has a boatload of negative reviews and posts .Not to mention the RAW results from various different sources that show less than stellar results . I would be inclined to look at it the other way and suggest that some are over valuing it

What are you comparing to, on full frame? For instance, the Canon 24-70/4L seems to come up short, side-by-side with the SEL2470Z. I looked at a lot of choices, from Canon, Sigma, and Sony, before going with the 24-70. I'm happy with mine. I also have a Tamron 24-70/2.8. That's a better lens, under most circumstances, but it's certainly not compact.

I get the impression that you're looking for something that doesn't exist, from any manufacturer: a small, light, perfect, walk-around zoom.

You may find something that comes closer to your criteria on APS-C or m43, but then you're on APS-C or m43...

-- hide signature --

A7-II with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow