DxOMark sharpness scores

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David5833 Regular Member • Posts: 142
DxOMark sharpness scores

While DxOMark perform many individual optical measurements, the sharpness score they derive is weighted for optical properties they think are important and then averaged across focal lengths and apertures. Finally, a numerical "score" is assigned. I'm OK with a derivative metric like that. Then, however, the derived individual aperture/focal length scores are represented as colors.

The transformation of a sharpness score into a color seems capricious, especially at the high end. I'm sure a statistician would cringe at the way they present the data for several reasons but I'll just point out that the difference between 12 pmpix and, for example, 36 pmpix, surely must be significant. However, such a difference would be lost in the representation of both as the same color because everything greater than 12 pmpix is represented as the same green hue. Meanwhile, there are 5 gradations of color between 0 and 12. This is wonderful if you want to get a handle on mediocrity.

They must certainly have the data for sharpness at every aperture/focal length tested...why don't they make it available? A table would be fine. It would certainly help in deciding what profile of sharpness is important to you. I've looked briefly at the forums on the DxO website so I know I'm not the first to comment about this issue but I haven't seen it addressed by DxOMark.

Maybe there is some way to access the actual scores that comprise their color-coded charts that I am not aware of?

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Canon G9 X II Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow