Kayaking on Lake Saimaa - 9 pics

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DrWu
DrWu Regular Member • Posts: 407
Kayaking on Lake Saimaa - 9 pics

I have just bougth an Advanced Elements AE1007 inflatable kayak and I had a chance to try it seriously for the time last week on the waters of Lake Saimaa. First 6 photos are from this trip and the last 3 were shot during my earlier trip 3 years ago in May 2014 when I was paddling in the same area by a canoe that I borrowed then from a friend.

Last time in 2014 I had EM-5 with 43 Zuiko 12-60mm which both have weather protection. Now I had Pen-F with m43 Zuiko 12-40mm and I bought Overboard camera bag ( http://www.overboard.eu/waterproof-slr-camera-bag.html ) to feel more secure with Pen-F. I have had this camera now for 16 months and my only complaint so far is this occasionally annoying lack of weather protection.

Saimaa is the 4th largest lake in Europe. It has over 13,000 islands and during these two kayaking/canoeing trips I landed only on 5 of them. Last week the distance I paddled was about 17km. I had a MSR Hubba-tent, sleeping bag, spare clothes etc. enough food, Primus Eta Solo camp stove and 5,5 litres of water which turned out to be just enough for a 28 hour trip in hot summer weather.

I did not take a photo of my camping place because it started to rain in the evening just a few minutes after I had put up my tent. But it was exactly in the same location now as it was in 2014 so that´s why included a camping photo of that trip here - same guy, same tent, same place.

All photos were shot RAW and processed with LR CC.

Best regards, Pekka.

A small rocky island where I stopped for lunch on the first day.

A bit of a cliche but couldn´t resist to include the bow of the kayak inside the frame.

A more serene place where I had lunch on the 2nd day

A mini-size "lighthouse". A canal connects Saimaa (74m above sea level) with the Gulf of Finland and I have seen freight ships at least from Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark, Russia and Great Britain on the waters of Saimaa.

Same lighthouse as above

May 2014. One of my favourite camping places in this area.

May 2014. An island where I stopped for a tea break. I mid-May water is still fairly cold but days can be warm and there´s often a light mist hovering  above the waters like in this shot.

May 2014. Sky looked gloomy but there was hardly any wind which made paddling longer distances easy.

DrWu's gear list:DrWu's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN-F Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow