Shooting the D500 at extreme ISO- any tips for a darkness rookie?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ScottnLaguna
ScottnLaguna Contributing Member • Posts: 755
Shooting the D500 at extreme ISO- any tips for a darkness rookie?

Hi,

I am used to shooting whales at between 100-400 ISO and maybe up to 800 on an overcast day in order to preserve as much detail as possible. I had a project last Sunday where I went backstage during a theatrical performance and shot about 2000 14bit raw in very challenging light. I set auto ISO at 25,600 max and was able to get quite a few keepers. Mind you, I am an oil painter and using the shots for reference to make paintings, not displaying them in a gallery or online. I learned a few tricks about noise reduction using PScc but not that helpful. I did notice the better quality lenses did better than the kit one. I used three bodies (2-D500s and a D800) and kept the same lens on each camera throughout the 3 hr shoot. Wide/18-200dx-D500 Portrait/60fx-D800 Telezoom 70-200-D500.

I may get another try at the same venue soon and want to be better prepared this time. I also want to rent a better wide angle lens. Any advice or tips in processing would be very welcome. Bear in mind these are all handheld, even monopod too slow and cumbersome. I need to shoot at at least 1/125 and f/4 or more. Most look like very grainy black wand whites with tiny bits of color. Thank you!

Scott

ScottnLaguna's gear list:ScottnLaguna's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
ANSWER:
Nikon D500 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow